THE COMMITMENT INVOLVED
First and foremost you need to understand that puppies and rescue pets are for a lifetime and require an enormous commitment from you and your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/fiancée/lover/flat-mates/landlord/family/children. Looking after them will entail amongst other things - regular exercise (some types a lot more than others), training, playing, socialising, grooming (some need heaps, some need hardly any), a period of housebreaking and teething, feeding (generally dry food), potential vet bills, flea/worm treatments and annual vaccinations. A big commitment!
THE BENEFITS OF HAVING A DOG
Our animals at home enrich our lives and there are wonderful benefits of having a dog:
- Companionship – the unconditional love and loyalty of a dog, is one of the amazing things in life that people of all ages, should celebrate. Dogs simply, increase our sense of well-being and make us feel happier. Dogs put more love in your house.
- Health benefits – the large number of health benefits of dog ownership (for adults and children) are very well documented. Including improved fitness, decreased blood pressure and heart rate, lower stress/depression levels, improved self-esteem, less sick days from school or work and decreased levels of asthma and allergies.
- Sense of security – a barking dog is a very effective burglar alarm and their great hearing is a fantastic prowler alert.
- Teaches responsibility – dogs need to be walked, fed, cleaned up after, taught and played with. This is an essential life lesson for kids, or for adults looking for that surrogate child.
- Social interaction – there is no bigger conversation starter down at the park or in the street, than a dog. They’re also a wonderful source of entertainment that’s not in front of the X-Box.
WHY PEOPLE GET THEIR PUPPIES FROM US?
As mentioned, puppies and rescue pets are for a lifetime and they require a big commitment, but when the time is right, why do people take their puppy home from our store in particular?
We are Aussie-owned, independent and our store has been servicing Sydney’s pet needs for over 10 years. In an industry where reputation is everything, we have thrived due to our unparalleled focus upon matching the very best puppies and rescue pets, with the perfect pet owners. Our exacting customers in Sydney’s Eastern suburbs have always demanded a very high standard of quality, service and reliability and we wouldn't have it any other way.
As a highly ethical pet store, we have voluntarily re-homed well over 600 rescue pets from various vets and shelters because we believe everybody deserves a second chance.
Every pet we sell comes with a cooling-off period, just in case you decide you have not made the right move and you’re not quite as ready as you thought you were. We also give a voluntary lifetime re-homing guarantee, so if in five years’ time you happen to get posted overseas, we guarantee to re-home your pet for you.
We do not buy from puppy farms. Never have, never will.
All puppies and rescue pets come with (cond. apply)–
- A cooling-off period (we do not encourage impulse buying of pets).
- A lifetime re-homing guarantee.
- A written health guarantee.
- A complimentary vet check after taking home (and all our pets pass a vet check prior to sale).
- Free health coverage at our vet.
- Worming, flea treatment, current vaccinations and micro-chipping.
- 4 weeks free pet insurance. (not all pets eligible)
We also do a huge amount of fundraising for various animal charities (including ‘Save the Cats’, ‘Sydney Dogs and Cats Home’). On top of that, we run our highly successful Wishing Tree Appeal.
As middlemen between breeders and new owners, we cater for people who haven’t owned a pet before, or haven’t for a long time. All our staff are highly trained, experienced and are employed first and foremost on their dedication to animals. They are amongst the true animal-lovers of this world, foregoing other opportunities just to work with pets. They (along with our vets) are ready to advise, every step along the way.
Sydney dogs twenty years ago, were very different, being bigger, living in the back yard, covered in fleas, in need of a wash, barking, dropping hair everywhere and destroying everything. Nowadays dogs tend to be a much more integral part of the family, smaller, indoors, flea-less, non-smelling, trained, low malting and just chewing on their chew-toys. Looking after dogs (housebreaking, teething, flea and smell eradication, training, barking control, clean up), is much easier now due to wonderful new products. E.g. flea/worm control is now a monthly squirt on the back of the neck, housebreaking is done via waterproof, attractant-scented pads instead of newspaper and with premium, completely balanced dry foods, poos tend to be small and dry.
People looking for a new puppy or rescue pet, use us because we are experts in market prices (most people wouldn’t know how much a Shih Tzu is really worth), assessing purity (most people wouldn’t know what an 8 week old ‘Bichalier’ should look like) and most importantly we know how to assess for health and temperament. If you’re considering taking your chances and buying from a random breeder on the internet, as an absolute minimum ensure you get a tour of the actual kennels (not just the breeder’s house) where they were born and raised, that will tell you a lot (don’t fall for the old “let’s just meet in a Maccas carpark to get your puppy”) and you must get a written health guarantee (absolutely vital).
There are plenty of breeds and crosses that are suitable to small yards, townhouses and apartments.
Remember, puppies and rescue pets are for a lifetime and they require a big commitment.